Barnevelder laying age

They are definitely top of pecking order and the queens of my flock. They are not mean to the others, but the others know who the top hens are.
That's interesting! What other breeds do you have? I only have Barnevelders and Orpingtons, and the Barnevelders are at the bottom. They used to both be at the bottom, until that one went broody and raised chicks for the first time. You know how being a mama shoots them up the hierarchy so they can protect the chicks. Well, she liked her new place higher up, and kept it even after her first chicks grew up and she went back to normal life! Now that she has raised chicks twice, she has cemented her upgraded place and is no longer at the bottom with her sister, but just under the two top hens.

That's interesting! What other breeds do you have? I only have Barnevelders and Orpingtons, and the Barnevelders are at the bottom. They used to both be at the bottom, until that one went broody and raised chicks for the first time. You know how being a mama shoots them up the hierarchy so they can protect the chicks. Well, she liked her new place higher up, and kept it even after her first chicks grew up and she went back to normal life! Now that she has raised chicks twice, she has cemented her upgraded place and is no longer at the bottom with her sister, but just under the two top hens.
I just have a small flock right now, and that’s probably why the barnies are higher up because they have been here longer. I have Australorps, EEs and 7 newbies of various breeds. Maybe the hierarchy will shift once the littles reach maturity? Time will tell!

I have 2 Double Laced Gold Barnevelder's. They are 6 months old. 1, Helga, laid her 1st egg yesterday and gave another today. I got Vera at the same time, but she's always been behind on development vs. Helga. Most info I've happened upon says Barnevelder's take 8-9 months to lay. Go Helga!

I have 2 Double Laced Gold Barnevelder's. They are 6 months old. 1, Helga, laid her 1st egg yesterday and gave another today. I got Vera at the same time, but she's always been behind on development vs. Helga. Most info I've happened upon says Barnevelder's take 8-9 months to lay. Go Helga!
Both of my barnies are in and out of the nest boxes, still no eggs from them but I suspect soon. They are 6.5 months now.
Congratulations on your eggs!

The two from the original post ended up taking the full 9 months to start laying…

Back
Top Bottom