Barnevelder roo?

amyduck

Songster
11 Years
Jan 20, 2011
Oakland, California
Hi All,

This black barnevelder chick hatched just over 5 weeks ago... any guesses? Something tells me its a little rooster... just stands a little taller and is a bit more agressive than my other chicks.... also seems the comb is a little redder and taller - but I don't have much experience raising chicks and none with Barnevelders...
Thanks.

Last edited:
Wrong leg coloring for a Barnevelder, but I think you do have a little roo. What breeds of chickens do you have?

images

Here is a Black Australorp chick that resembles yours, its a roo as well

images

What color legs do Barnevelders have? I got the egg from a breeder... I wonder if it might be different for the black ones?

I have 6 chickens in all:
Older RIR - no longer laying, but still #1.
Turken raising the (barnevelder?) chick
Barred Rock
Welsummer of some type
Black EE or Jersey Giant? Not sure yet!

Thanks!

Wrong leg coloring for a Barnevelder, but I think you do have a little roo. What breeds of chickens do you have?

images

Here is a Black Australorp chick that resembles yours, its a roo as well

images

Or could be Jersey Giant
hu.gif

:) My other roo.... the big black one we've corresponded about was much bigger at this age! Still wondering how big that guy will get... but I'm going to have to send him to the country as soon as he starts crowing : ( very sad about that....he's a sweetie! Here's what he an my 2 other older "chicks" look like now...

Where do you live? Double Laced is the only color Barnevelders that are recognized in the US. Yellow Legs are the standard for Barnevelders, no matter what the color.

Where do you live? Double Laced is the only color Barnevelders that are recognized in the US. Yellow Legs are the standard for Barnevelders, no matter what the color.

I'm in Oakland, CA Too bad... I wondered when he said I'd gotten an egg for a black one...I was thinking of the double laced when I told him what I wanted... I didn't even know there were black "barnevelders" - but it was a relatively casual exchange.

Back
Top Bottom