Barns And Noble - Ick!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Ashmeade, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Ashmeade

Ashmeade Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    I went shopping for the first time in a long time at a book store (Barnes and Noble) and I realize now fully why all these book stores are going out of business! Please feel free to pass to folks to put on FB or twitter as I have none of these and do not wish to get them just for this at this point. That being said, I DO think it is important enough info to pass along...

We bought several books and then when we went home, we discovered we could have ordered them online and have them shipped to the store for pick up or even shipped directly to my home for SIGNIFICANTLY less.

When I called the store to see if there was any way to make that right, they acted like they could have cared less and said they would do nothing but I could return the books and order them online and get the savings__which is exactly what I plan to do (after I look at Amazon and other sites to see if I can get even cheaper).

It seems the reasoning is the lack of overhead online enables the site to sell for less than the store and apparently they target their customer audience for their stores to be people desperate to get a book sooner than a couple days' wait, or people like me who did not know better. I can understand a small price difference but this was NOT a small difference. The two people I spoke to (one being a manager)did not help things with their attitude about it - totally RIDICULOUS![​IMG][[​IMG]!] I will never shop in Barnes and Noble book store again!

Again, please feel free to pass this on. I sincerely hope it does the stores damage and takes up their absorbant "overhead costs" they are getting at OUR expense!

Online shopping all the way for me or the public library! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I personally hold Amazon accountable for the demise of Borders, and absolutely boycott Amazon. People complain about Walmart, but I think Amazon is far worse. I far, far preferred Borders over Barnes & Noble, but sadly, they are almost no more. Barnes and Noble has a discount membership program that is probably worth purchasing if you buy at least $30 or $40 worth of books per year (I haven't done the math, just guessing). I want what I want, when I want it, and so really do not like shopping online.

3. Ashmeade

Ashmeade Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Honestly I miss the stores where customer service MEANT something and the customer and their FUTURE business was VALUED. (sigh).[​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have a Kindle. I don't go to bookstores anymore. I LOVE my Kindle.

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:I write and I am a book critic by trade, too. I love paper books. I love bookstores. I will always support local bookstores, because the extra cost is worth it to have a brick and mortar place to go. I'm putting my buck on something I value- even if I could get it cheaper, I won't, on principle.

6. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I give my money to local book stores (many in my area support local comic and book writers and artists) and Amazon. I never got the appeal of places like Blockbusters or Borders (or hey, big boxes and many chains in general). Poor selection, overpriced, and impersonal while trying to seem personal. Not shedding any tears over their demise myself.

7. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    I will so miss borders, especially the coffee shop [​IMG] Im so sad!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

8. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Last I looked into it, it was $25 to buy the discount membership card, which gave you a 10% discount on your purchases, so you'd have to spend $250 per year at B&N just to break even! So not worth it for me. I don't spend anywhere near that on new books.

I'm too cheap to pay full price for books in any bookstore. I usually use the library for my book fix. When I buy them, I buy all my books from used book stores, library sales and www.paperbackswap.com. A bookstore like Borders or B&N is my last resort when I want a book.

9. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Sorry that you're upset and that they had bad attitudes. I have to be honest though: Tons of things are cheaper online, especially books. I'm surprised that you are surprised by this. For years I've looked in bookstores at books, gotten an idea of what I want, then gone home and ordered it online. I won't be spreading any "bad word" about them for this; it's perfectly logical to me that a store with massive overhead, rent, lights, staff, insurance, etc etc would have to charge more than a website with very little overhead and the direct source of the warehouse. If we could order things online from the warehouse instead of stores everything would be cheaper. What's so horrible about that? I could understand if they refused to let you return the books, but they have a full return policy, and then you can order online like you said. Not seeing the big deal here, sorry. [​IMG]

That being said, I would love to purchase from small mom and pop independent book shops, but I have yet to find any in my area! So now I order online, or better yet order on my kindle and save a tree. Although some books you just can't beat the paper version, it depends on the book.

10. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Unless I just happen to be in a bookstore and see a book I want right that minute, I do ALL my book shopping via Amazon. It's less expensive, it's easier and much, much faster, the shipping is usually free, and the book arrives within two days - and often the next day. I also own a Kindle - which I find is best for fiction. I want hard copy books when the topic is something I want to reference often - such as books on gardening, raising chickens, etc.

If Barnes and Noble wants to continue, they've got to come up with advantages & services that will attract customers away from Amazon. Amazon has too many pluses. Otherwise only the most die-hard customers and people who can afford to spent extra $ will continue to patronize Barnes and Noble. The average person isn't going to spend time driving to B&N and pay more to get a book they can get much cheaper with only a click or two of a computer key.

I think B&N has started in the right direction with the Nook. The Nook is more compatible with children's book than the Kindle. My two older granddaughters (ages 8 and 10) each have a Nook.

I don't understand anger at businesses like Wal-Mart and Amazon. They are successful because they offer products and services at a better price and convenience than other stores. That's what free enterprise is all about. That's what successful businesses have to do. :) I know others disagree with me. This is simply my opinion on the topic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by