Barnvelders

ChickenKeep01

Songster
5 Years
Jul 2, 2016
Australia
I'm planning to get 6 wyandottes soon but i found out about barnvelders and i have done some research on them and found out i get them them slightly cheaper when they are almost the same as wyandottes except different colours but can not find out how long they live and that will help my deicide which i will be getting.

Do you mean prime laying life? If you meant that then yes, Isa browns do only really lay for 2 - 3 years and then laying declines dramatically. Im not so sure about Barenvelders but i don't think they lay too many eggs. I hope somebody with experience with Barneveleders can give you some more info.

It is interesting that you can find Barnvelders for less. They are a much rarer breed. I like the Barnvelders better as they are double laced where as the Wyandottes are single laced. Lifespan is the same though. I would recommend Barnvelders over the Wyandottes for show quality. Egg laying production is the same. A great place to get chickens both rare exotic breeds and the more common egg layers is from a family in Strasburg on CL. http://eastco.craigslist.org/pet/5729807058.html They are great folks that share tips and a booklet on raising chickens and help determine the best breed for your family. You can also get organic feed there. They have all age ranges and guarantee sexing which is great for those that live in the city.

It is interesting that you can find Barnvelders for less. They are a much rarer breed. I like the Barnvelders better as they are double laced where as the Wyandottes are single laced. Lifespan is the same though. I would recommend Barnvelders over the Wyandottes for show quality. Egg laying production is the same. A great place to get chickens both rare exotic breeds and the more common egg layers is from a family in Strasburg on CL. http://eastco.craigslist.org/pet/5729807058.html They are great folks that share tips and a booklet on raising chickens and help determine the best breed for your family. You can also get organic feed there. They have all age ranges and guarantee sexing which is great for those that live in the city.
I can get them for less because i live in Australia where different breeds are worth more or less in America

Back
Top Bottom