1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barnvelders

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenKeep01, Jul 15, 2016.

1. ChickenKeep01

ChickenKeep01 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    I'm planning to get 6 wyandottes soon but i found out about barnvelders and i have done some research on them and found out i get them them slightly cheaper when they are almost the same as wyandottes except different colours but can not find out how long they live and that will help my deicide which i will be getting.

2. Chicken Bff

Chicken Bff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    all chickens live about the same lifespan

3. ChickenKeep01

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    I Know thats not true because wyandottes live 6-12 years but isa browns live 2-3

4. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Do you mean prime laying life? If you meant that then yes, Isa browns do only really lay for 2 - 3 years and then laying declines dramatically. Im not so sure about Barenvelders but i don't think they lay too many eggs. I hope somebody with experience with Barneveleders can give you some more info.

5. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
  6. Venumfire

Venumfire Just Hatched

May 20, 2016
    It is interesting that you can find Barnvelders for less. They are a much rarer breed. I like the Barnvelders better as they are double laced where as the Wyandottes are single laced. Lifespan is the same though. I would recommend Barnvelders over the Wyandottes for show quality. Egg laying production is the same. A great place to get chickens both rare exotic breeds and the more common egg layers is from a family in Strasburg on CL. http://eastco.craigslist.org/pet/5729807058.html They are great folks that share tips and a booklet on raising chickens and help determine the best breed for your family. You can also get organic feed there. They have all age ranges and guarantee sexing which is great for those that live in the city.

7. ChickenKeep01

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    I can get them for less because i live in Australia where different breeds are worth more or less in America

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by