Barnyard mixes any ideas

kntrybumpkin

Chirping
8 Years
May 27, 2015
[/IMG]We had 3 eggs hatch 2 weeks ago and aren't sure on one we know 2 are barred rock but we are curious if the third is cuckoo maran

Last edited:
this little I'm going to take my best guess that he is a silkie mix but look at those cheeks
this little guy is half the size of everyone else at 12 weeks we bought a large amount of mixed birds at a week old with astralorp blue and black orpington black copper maran but as they grow we realize there are some we just don't know about

this handsome guy is a year and a half and is top boss we have always wondered what he could be I was told a black sex link rooster once

Last edited:
[/URL]We had 3 eggs hatch 2 weeks ago and aren't sure on one we know 2 are barred rock but we are curious if the third is cuckoo maran
The two chicks could both be Cuckoo Marans. Cuckoo Maran cockerels have fairly uniform white stripes on them, while the pullets have a more random, less uniform pattern.

Last edited:
The two chicks could both be Cuckoo Marans. Cuckoo Maran cockerels have fairly uniform white stripes on them, while the pullets have a more random, less uniform pattern.
the problem is we have barred rock hens and cuckoo maran hens and our rooster in the pic above is also barred but we aren't sure what he is so the barred gene will for sure carry

Since your rooster isn't a pure bred bird, none of the chicks will be pure bred. With his single barring gene, and the hens being barred, you may have a difficult time telling who came from the Marans momma vs the Rock momma. One good way to tell is leg/skin color. Marans should have white/pink skin, Rocks have yellow. White is dominant, so any chicks from the Marans should have white skin. It will probably be a moot point, though, unless your cuckoo Marans laid exceptionally dark eggs. My hatchery cuckoos, crossed with a regular brown egger rooster, gave pullets that laid regular brown eggs.

Back
Top Bottom