Barred birds from non barred parents

Kung_pao

Songster
Jan 22, 2023
I recently hatched Marans from a breeder and I visited him and saw his birds. He had blue/ black and splash flocks. Good looking birds and pretty dang good looking eggs. I hatched blue black and splash chicks, no surprise there. One chick though looks odd, he appears to be blue barred. I don’t know chicken genetics well, but is this possible or did another breed accidentally get to this birds mother? His set up looked pretty good and he was very proud of his birds. I know he didn’t do it intentionally if something got mixed up.

Attachments

• IMG_6871.jpeg
    IMG_6871.jpeg
    414.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6873.jpeg
    IMG_6873.jpeg
    394.7 KB · Views: 19
I recently hatched Marans from a breeder and I visited him and saw his birds. He had blue/ black and splash flocks. Good looking birds and pretty dang good looking eggs. I hatched blue black and splash chicks, no surprise there. One chick though looks odd, he appears to be blue barred. I don’t know chicken genetics well, but is this possible or did another breed accidentally get to this birds mother? His set up looked pretty good and he was very proud of his birds. I know he didn’t do it intentionally if something got mixed up.
One parent, or both must be Barred. Barring can be hard to see on a Blue, or Splash chicken.

Back
Top Bottom