Barred chicken breeds

Quote:
In a couple of weeks I will be breeding a splash Rock Rooster with one of my Dominique hens with the same hope you have. I would love a blue barred dual purpose flock.

Very nice pictures -- what beautiful birds! I would love to see more pictures of these cool birds.

My daughter is very excited about all these neat colors. We will have to try to make our own. We have both a male and a female barred rock. If we breed them with a RIR or a NH, will we get a new barred bird? Does it matter which breed is the male and which is the female?

Thanks for all the information.

No, you'll get a normal barred bird with a couple red barred feathers. Breed the offspring to a New Hampshire again though and THEN you'll get an orangey reddish barred bird. But make sure the one bred to a NH again is barred.
wink.png

ETA -

Female BR x male NH = sex links

Male BR x female NH = 100% barred chickens

Last edited:
I currently live in the UK but I always thought that cuckoo was part of the crele/creole mix because of the following ......

This is one of my barred young roos ......

And this is his brother ......

The first roo now has much darker gold/red barring on his head.

Last edited:
Crele is Duckwing with Barring. It requires the secondary feathers on the male to be gold barred, and the females to have some gold/brown barring too.

We are quite new to chickens, and we purchased a few barred rock chickens this year. My daughter loves the barring and wanted to know if there are any barred chickens with other colors (other than black and white). For example, are there any chicken breeds with red and buff barring. Or is this not possible. Just curious. Thanks.
Crested cream leg bars also have a barring but they blue eggs which pretty cool!! Delawares have barring to!! Cuckoo Maran have barring and they lay the darkest eggs so pretty!! Bielefeilder also have barring!! and thats on my top of list but there more breeds with barring to!!

Even Plymouth Rocks, the breed you purchased, come in other barred or laced colors. Partridge Rocks have red and black bands in their feathers, though the way they are on the feather is specifically partridge (They look like little eyes), not barred. I think they also come silver laced, and several other pretty multicolored varieties. Columbian rocks are white bodied with black lacing all on their hackles. I am sure there are more...

Back
Top Bottom