Barred,Creale,cuckoo,etc.

Quote:
There is no research on why barring works well on extended black and not wheaten. The barring gene really looks bad on wild type. Evidently it has something to do with female hormones. I think it has to do with the nature of the gene.

The expression of the extended black allele is controlled by a melanocortin 1 receptor (protein) found in the cell membrane. The extended black gene codes for the production of the melanocortin 1 receptor. The melanocortin 1 receptor protein is constitutive or in other words the cell is switched on to produce eumelanin ( black pigment) all the time. Other genes like wheaten ( a mutated extended black gene) require that a hormone be made and the hormone has to dock with the melanocortin 1 receptor ( wheaten MCR-1) in order for pigments to be made. Instead of black pigment the cells make the pigment associated with the allele(wheaten). So wheaten color is turned on and off depending on if a hormone is docked on the wheaten MCR-1.

The barring gene does a good job of switching the MCR-1 off in extended black birds but for some reason it can not turn off the wheaten machinery that is making the wheaten color. So you get a fuzzy bar. I need to find a gene or genes that will help turn on and off the wheaten (wheaten MCR1) pigments so that the bars are crisp on the male and look descent in the female.

I am going to work with two E locus alleles brown and buttercup.

I will work with any gene that produces patterns on birds and try different combinations of genes.

Pg, Db, Ml, Co

I crossed the male in the picture with some Appenzeller Spitzhauben ( eb, Db-Ml-Pg) to see what effect this will have on the barring. Some females from the cross will be gold, barred and heterozygous wheaten/brown and carry one copy of Db-Ml-Pg and Co. The chicks are only one week to a few days old. I may only get poorly laced (sebright) and barred birds. If my rooster carries Db, then the hens will show some spangling. Should be interesting.

Krys,

My females are not barred very well. They are better than some Rhodbar pictures I have seen. They still need lots of work.

Tim

Last edited:
Anymore info or pics. Also pics of blue barred would be apreciated. Any more input greatly appreiciated.

Hi! Here is a blue barred (blue cuckoo?) green-egger girl:

325402006.jpg

I just moved a blue barred Rock in with my Barred Rock girls.
The blue / blue barred Rock stock is a bit smaller that my 'black' barred stock, but they should still make nice big layers and PRETTY.
smile.png

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom