Barred Gene

Tretinker

Songster
May 23, 2022
England
Hi all,

I've got a broodie sitting on some eggs with a little chance something might hatch.

My boy is barred and the egg mum is not. This is the wrong way round for the sexing thing isn't it?

Is it female needs to be barred and male not barred?

I've tried googling but I'm not explaining myself to Google and Alexa hasn't a clue what I'm on about so if you guys understand me hallelujah!

My boy is barred and the egg mum is not. This is the wrong way round for the sexing thing isn't it?

Is it female needs to be barred and male not barred?
Correct.

Barred mother and not-barred father make sexlinks (barred sons and not-barred daughters).

Barred father and not-barred mother produce chicks where both genders have an equal chance of being barred (either all barred, or 50% barred, depending on whether the father has one or two copies of the barring gene.)

Brilliant thank you! So glad you understand my question!

It would have been very nice if this had been the other way around 😂
Correct.

Barred mother and not-barred father make sexlinks (barred sons and not-barred daughters).

Barred father and not-barred mother produce chicks where both genders have an equal chance of being barred (either all barred, or 50% barred, depending on whether the father has one or two copies of the barring gene.)

Back
Top Bottom