Barred Id help

Bird #2 is a Barred Rock roo.

Here's a list of all the Barred-colored birds McMurray sells: Barred Cochin bantam (not this one for sure), Barred Rock, Cuckoo Marans, and Dominique.

My guess is a poor quality Cuckoo Marans. Her barring is not sharp and clean, more muddled like a cuckoo. McMurray's picture also shows a hen with a large tail. She is from a hatchery, which could cause improper leg color and small size.
hu.gif

Could possibly be a single combed Dominique. She's from a hatchery, and I know their Wyandottes sometimes have single combs.

I doubt she's a Barred Rock. I've had several BR hens from McMurray and they all have had very clean sharp barring, and are very large and small-tailed compared to my other hens.

If that hen came from somewhere else, I would say it is a California Gray also known as a Production Black. Looks exactly like one I had. In fact, all those barred birds you posted look like California Grays to me. Very odd.

DSCF0066.jpg

Here she is at a little younger age.

DSCF0034-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
I doubt she's a Barred Rock. I've had several BR hens from McMurray and they all have had very clean sharp barring, and are very large and small-tailed compared to my other hens.

I agree. My Amanda is from McMurray parentage and was one of the pullets in that pic I posted yesterday. She has the best barring of all my BR hens and she is also the largest one I have. She's really a chunk of a hen. What's odd is the first pullet pictured with the long, lean look and long tail really doesn't look like any of the ones McMurray sells should look. Wonder what the heck they're doing at the hatchery!​

Quote:
If this is possible, it's my guess. Aren't Doms lighter-bodied like this, more upright? I agree with the no on the BR, my MM BRs look much nicer than that.

Here's some pics of my BR's. In the first pictures. Then in 2nd ones more pictures of my mystery girl.

1)
9ee3d463.jpg

3308b08d.jpg

56d9b9e6.jpg

7598cd44.jpg

240462f9.jpg

2) Mystery girl
5e335a65.jpg

06f6385c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom