Barred Id help

jjp

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 12, 2010
Bell Buckle, TN
I ordered the Rainbow mix from McM. I've got most of my girls and a few boys identified. I need some help with a few. I've got 6 barred rocks and 2 I thought were barred rocks but now I'm not sure.

This one is alot smaller and slender than the others. She also doesn't have yellow legs.

1)
f711c998.jpg

1a40bb51.jpg

76b662cf.jpg

This one is my biggest one and I believe it might be a big boy.
2)
ffc6df33.jpg

fb14e3d3.jpg

665184b0.jpg

the 2nd one is a roo and looks like a barred rock to me.

the 1st one looks like a pullet but the tail is to upright to be a barred rock i think... maybe someone will know what breed??

I figured big boy was going to be a Roo. I've got 3 Roo's so far identified. Easteregger, RIR, and now a barred rock.

The first one is not a BR, IMO. If those are BRs, they are the skinniest I've ever seen and I've raised them for years. Body type is all wrong for a Plymouth Rock. The first is a pullet and the second is a cockerel. I'd say Barred Leghorns if they had bigger combs, but I dunno.

The 1st is a pullet. The 2nd is a roo. I agree with speckledhen, I have a feeling they are not BRs. Maybe like Barred OEGB or something.

The only other barred breed that they sell that is similar to a barred rock is a maran. Either way I think she is just a skinny minny and just not the best representation of whatever breed she is supposed to be.... She has kind of a funny tail too.... I think she's just unique in her own way
smile.png

Since they came from Murray McMurray won't they have to be from the choices BR, Cuckoo Maran, or Dominiques? Or could they be mixed?

The small pullet in the 1st pictures is the only one that looks like that. The others don't have the long tail feathers and they have yellow legs.

Those are some super skinny Rocks, if that's what they are. I've had hatchery Rocks and generations-removed from the hatchery BRs and none of them have been skinny birds, not in the least. The bodies are also very elongated with long necks, just not Rock type at all. My chunkiest BR girls are descended from McMurray stock, too. Not even being gawky teens would be that long bodied and skinny and with those super long tails. Just very odd looking for Rocks. They remind me of some Silver Phoenix/BR cross cockerels I had. Some hatchery Rocks have less than yellow legs, so that may not be a good way to ID the birds, but even Cuckoo Marans shouldn't be that skinny. Hmm.

These two had McMurray parents;they are 12 weeks old in this picture. See what I mean?

DCP_7622.jpg

Back
Top Bottom