Barred Plymouth Rocks in Florida?

FLA-girl

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Can anyone tell me if Barred Plymouth Rocks do well in Florida? I am starting this year at raising chickens after losing last years to heat stroke...They were all black or multi-colored, and I think they absorbed too much sun, though I'm putting a tarp over the chicken coop this time. I like the Barred Plymouth Rocks, except for their dark coloring.

There are so many good breeds that do well in warm climates. I would research those and choose a couple, work with them and not stress birds that don't do well in your climate. Rocks were developed for the Plymouth Rock climate. They might live there but there are better choices.
Try Cubalayas, Catalanas, Buttercups, Fayoumis, Redcaps, Modern Games and most of the Mediterranean breeds like Penedesencas, Leghorns, Minorcas, Anconas and Spanish.

Redcaps are my dream breed, but I've never found anyone who will ship less than 25 chicks, and I can't handle more than maybe 8(legally I'm only allowed six, but our neighborhood doesn't care. Someone else has a calf that isn't supposed to be here either.)

Try finding someone local that will split an order with you or better yet if you find someone to share, order from Sandhill preservation http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/chickens.html
They're a no kill hatchery so only straight run and select redcaps for large size so you can eat the boys when they mature.
They only hatch 10 redcaps a week but you can mix in other breeds with your order that someone else might want. Or mix in some of the other breeds I suggested.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom