Barred Rock and Orpingtons

nh10ring

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 23, 2007
Warren, NH
It has been a long winter in New England, and now that spring has arrived, I am preparing to add to my flock. I currently have 9 Plymouth Barred Rock hens: (4) 3-years-olds and (5) 1-year-olds. I am really interested in getting some Buff Orpintons, because they are an absolutely beautiful bird that can tolerate the cold New England climate. However, I have read that they are very docile and are at the bottom of the pecking order. What should I expect if I mix these two breeds? Does anyone here have the same combination? Are Barred Rocks much more aggressive to the point that they will really peck the heck out of the Orpingtons?

If I don't get the Orpingtons, I would simply order more Barred Rocks. I just don't know which way to go at this point and would appreciate any suggestions or advice any of you may have. Thank you...

I have some of both, and all seems to get along very well.They are all about 8-9 weeks old.I have saw no evidence of any fighting.
smile.png

When raised together most baby chicks will always decide their own pecking order and follow suit accordingly.

As a word of caution, you will be adding to an already existing flock of hens, who are, by definiton, a bit more agressive than BO's. So extra care should be given when it comes time to integrate the little girls to the big girls.

Just follow sound advice and you will be fine. I am partial to BO's, and it is the only breed I will have because of their docile nature. And many other endearing qualities of these big beautiful loving birds.

My humble two cents,

Ma

I have 5 buff orps and 9 BR and they get along fine. They were from two different flocks but once their pecking order was established they seem happy together.
thumbsup.gif

I think you will face the same challenges of introducing pullets to hens. I put mine next to each other and let them get used to each other. When the pullets get to be about the same size as the hens (about 4 mo. old) I let them range together. I put plenty of treats out in the yard so that the birds concentrate on the treats rather than each other. There will be some chasing to establish the new pecking order. I did have one hen that was particularly aggressive. I have some pictures on my BYC Page.

I had my australorps first and got my BOs last summer. I introduced them slowly by letting them free-range together for about a week first and had no problems when I put them together in the big-girl coop.
The BOs seem to be friendlier than the others, but if they are sitting on the nest, they will not let me check for eggs whereas the australorps don't care if I reach under them.
tongue.png

Another thing, the BOs only like the BO roo and if the teenage roos try to mess with them, they will get a good peck.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom