Barred Rock bantams molted for 10 weeks

claychickens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 5, 2009
Clay Alabama
I have 6 BRB that have always been strong layers. They are 13 months old. They slacked off 10 weeks ago from a average of 5 a day to one or two then for the last 6 weeks nothing at all. Then all of the sudden three in one day. Now for last three days I have got 3 then 4 then 4. So yea. I have 4 Astralorps that allways give me 3 and sometimes 4 a day. I have two Easter eggers that are free loaders. I get maybe 1 egg a week from them. I would like to mention that I prefer the BRB eggs over the astralorps. Yes you need 2 to 1 to compare in volume. But the taste wins by far. Wonder if anyone else feels the same.

I have three ee's but only 1 is a freeloader - the other 2 lay 4 or 5 a week even in the cold so far

4 sex-links that lay like gangbusters - pretty much every day

I can't say I've noticed any taste difference.

If any of the girls didn't lay for 10 weeks I would definately find a hidden nest somewhere. Every once in a while they lay in the shed instead of the coop. I usually find them the same day though because they tend to play follow the leader. If one lays in the shed they all will.

I feel like I enjoy the bantams eggs more because of the yolk to white ratio. The bantams have more yolk. I wonder if that goes for all bantam eggs. The Astralorps lay huge eggs but we give most of them away to family and keep all the bantam eggs. I really missed the bantam eggs when they were on strike.

Back
Top Bottom