Barred Rock bantams molted for 10 weeks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by claychickens, Dec 9, 2010.

1. claychickens

claychickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2009
    Clay Alabama
    I have 6 BRB that have always been strong layers. They are 13 months old. They slacked off 10 weeks ago from a average of 5 a day to one or two then for the last 6 weeks nothing at all. Then all of the sudden three in one day. Now for last three days I have got 3 then 4 then 4. So yea. I have 4 Astralorps that allways give me 3 and sometimes 4 a day. I have two Easter eggers that are free loaders. I get maybe 1 egg a week from them. I would like to mention that I prefer the BRB eggs over the astralorps. Yes you need 2 to 1 to compare in volume. But the taste wins by far. Wonder if anyone else feels the same.

2. chickaddict

chickaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Bristol
    I have three ee's but only 1 is a freeloader - the other 2 lay 4 or 5 a week even in the cold so far

4 sex-links that lay like gangbusters - pretty much every day

I can't say I've noticed any taste difference.

If any of the girls didn't lay for 10 weeks I would definately find a hidden nest somewhere. Every once in a while they lay in the shed instead of the coop. I usually find them the same day though because they tend to play follow the leader. If one lays in the shed they all will.

3. claychickens

claychickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2009
    Clay Alabama
    I feel like I enjoy the bantams eggs more because of the yolk to white ratio. The bantams have more yolk. I wonder if that goes for all bantam eggs. The Astralorps lay huge eggs but we give most of them away to family and keep all the bantam eggs. I really missed the bantam eggs when they were on strike.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by