Barred Rock chicks too stupid to thrive?

Beckys Birds

Songster
May 27, 2022
South Central Kentucky
So, the day afterThanksgiving we went to Rural King and got four Plymouth Rock chicks. They were active and alert and made the trip home in good health. I did the normal beak dipping, so they knew the food and water, then pushed them under the hot plate to get warm. Not ten minutes goes by, and they are all at the door of the brooder doing the "peep scream". I checked on them, and they were cold. So I shoved them back under the hot plate. This happened at least seven or eight times! My daughter and husband dipped their beaks each time, before shoving them back under. They FINALLY got the hint! They are doing well and getting bigger.
Then yesterday, we brought home two Partridge Rock chicks. I was only home for about an hour before I had to leave, and didn't get back until late. The Partridge Rocks seemed fine. This morning, they were lethargic and their crops were empty! I've spent the day babying these two chicks, trying to get them to thrive. They seem good right now, if not a little wobbly. I gave them sugar water and then mixed the chick food in the sugar water in a dropper, then finally got them to eat the sugared mash off a spoon.
I just can't get over how stupid these birds are! None of my other breeds of chicks were like this.
Anybody else end up with some poor dumb chicks you had to beg to live?

Could be, but after pushing their backs against the hot plate nine times, you'd think they'd figure it out...? They also weren't eating, so we kept having to show them food and water.
And the brooder had been set up for several hours before hand, so it was hot.

I had a batch of 8 chicks I got from a friend of my dad's. The broody was killed by a dog leaving them orphaned.
They took like maybe 6-7 times to figure out the heating plate, food, & water they caught on immediately though.
Not dumb, just were slow at finding the heating plate.
I think it's just confusion.

I had a batch of 8 chicks I got from a friend of my dad's. The broody was killed by a dog leaving them orphaned.
They took like maybe 6-7 times to figure out the heating plate, food, & water they caught on immediately though.
Not dumb, just were slow at finding the heating plate.
I think it's just confusion.
I guess I'm judging the Rocks against the last 20 chicks, of multiple other breeds, I've raised over this last four months. They are the only ones who have to be watched so closely.

Considering that they now have to do the opposite of what they were used to-going to a darker place for warmth, it might take a while for them to learn. Have you checked to make sure the plate isn't too hot?
It reads 104 degrees with two different types of thermometers. It's the same plate I've used with 20 other chicks.

It reads 104 degrees with two different types of thermometers. It's the same plate I've used with 20 other chicks.
That's pretty hot, you don't want to go over 95, usually, 95 being the hottest for new babies. Back it down to 90 if possible or raise it.
Just adjust the heat until they're content.

Last edited:
Be careful there using those nipple waterers in stores and its causing confusion in chicks for regular waterers. Seen it happen several times.
Different breeds. As for the hot plate it just seems like mass confusion. Ours did it too from heat lamp to oh I have to be near this to get warm.

Hopefully the transition gets better soon. Baby chicks will always keep you on your toes. =)

That's pretty hot, you don't want to go over 95, usually.
It raises up, and I have it at an angle. They can easily come and go. I'm not sure why my rearing practice is in question, since I've been very successful in raising almost 50 birds over the last three years? These BR's are the only ones to have problems with this brooder set up.
My point to this post was for commiseration. To see if anyone else has or had some chicks that couldn't figure things out, not to defend the way my brooder is set up. Because really, six birds out of 26 not figuring things out is not the norm, they are the anomaly.

Back
Top Bottom