Barred Rock Gender Puzzler

figlette

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
I completely forgot about this board. Hi everyone. Sorry about the identical post over in the baby chick section.

So she's a little thick in the legs. I am sure they are just egg birthing hips. Right?

Kiwi (the bird with the thunder thighs) and Bean are the same age (< 3 weeks). And I am sure the stance and comb are coincidental. Sigh. Both chicks are feathering out at the same speed and their coloring matches as well. But those legs!

Our girl to boy ratio for sexed chicks since the beginning.

First batch - 1 boy to 2 girls
Second batch - 1 boy to 1 girl
Third batch - it better be 3 girls or I am going to have a serious chat with the chicken sexer.

I have a well developed sense of paranoia around chicken gender. Thanks for the feminine thoughts all.

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Slide4.jpg

Slide5.jpg

I have read that BR females have black on their legs, and the males don't, or don't as much, something like that. Anyway, they both look female to me. I also noticed with mine that the female started feathering in black with white dots on her, no real barring for quite some time. Hope that helps.
smile.png

Thank you.
smile.png
She has to be a she. I mean what are the odds that I would have a he in every batch of sexed chicks? From three different sources?!? Here's hoping she is just a little hefty from the tail down.

If only they came out with painted toenails or a propensity to leave the seat up to make it easier on me. I so obsess over these things. I think I need to let it go, or crow as the case may be. As if that will happen. Tomorrow's test will include chick's choice movie night. The Notebook or Die Hard should clear up the questions...

Thanks again.
big_smile.png

PS Your piglet is adorable!

Last edited:
There aren't many pures that you can tell early on, but the BR is not one of them! Once you have them for a while, you'll be able to tell fairly easily. I'm just going by what others told me! When I first got mine, I was thinking that only males had head spots. Imagine my surprise when all 5 of them had them!! I just about freaked, until I learned differently!!

And thanks on the piggie, too bad he isn't that cute anymore.
sad.png
He is about 6 months old now, and was 3 weeks in the pic. But we love him anyway, even though he's not cute anymore!
lau.gif

One thing to remember is that BRs can be sexed with relative certainty, but some have confusing traits as chicks. The other chick, the one you are not pointing out, actually has a more male-looking headspot than the larger chick, but both have dark legs and dark down. Overall, they both appear female to me, but on occasion, one does fool me.

Thank you everyone. I now have hope that she will just never be a runway model. Thanks for taking the time to peek at Kiwi's gender bending features.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom