Breed/gender/who’s yo mama - chick ID

Hantell

Chirping
Jun 6, 2023
Hatched some of our own chicks for the first time! Dad to all is a Blue Copper Marans.

Chick #1: What am I? Slightly feathered feet, hatched from a dark green egg, my mom is all gray with a gray floppy comb. Am I a boy or girl?
IMG_3604.jpeg
IMG_3602.jpeg
IMG_3598.jpeg

(The one with the spots around it’s eyes in the background is from a partridge Brahma, couldn’t get decent pics of it but hoping it’s a roo)

Chick #2: mom is EE, hatched from blue egg. Am I boy or a girl?
IMG_3584.jpeg

Chick # 3: what am I? Hatched from a brown egg - could be RIR, buff Orpington, or mixed breed. Am I a boy or a girl?
IMG_3581.jpeg
IMG_3575.jpeg

Chick #4: I *think* this one hatched from an Orpington egg. By far the most social and adventurous, hoping at least this one is a roo! Thoughts on breed or gender?
IMG_3570.jpeg
IMG_3560.jpeg
IMG_3551.jpeg

It's a bit too early to tell :(
Keep an eye on their feather development. Males will grow feathers slower than female chicks.
I love the last one and how plump it is!

I think its to early to tell for sure
Number 1 has a larger comb already so maybe cockerel.
How old are they?

It's a bit too early to tell :(
Keep an eye on their feather development. Males will grow feathers slower than female chicks.
I love the last one and how plump it is!
I dont think thats true pullets and cockerels seem to grow in at the exact same time or cockerels even quicker. That wont tell you if they are cockerel are pullets.
Out of my first hatch 4 of 6 were cockerels, the cockerels tail feathers grew in quick and the combs followed
Second hatch single chick was cockerel
Third hatch all cockerels i knew by 2 weeks and they had tail feathers quick.
Chicks i bought from farm store most had tail feathers by 2 weeks. Besides one who im confident is a pullet now

Back
Top Bottom