Barred Rock - head spot

j1lly99

Chirping
May 13, 2020
Hurst, Texas (North/Central Texas)
I know you are supposed to tell by the head spot on a barred rock, but these aren't clear. Some of the images I've found for hens and roos look the same. Are these clear to anyone and if so, hen or roo?

20200602_162629.jpg

I know you are supposed to tell by the head spot on a barred rock, but these aren't clear. Some of the images I've found for hens and roos look the same. Are these clear to anyone and if so, hen or roo?

View attachment 2175728
I haven’t heard about sexing by “head spots” but you can always tell by their primary flight feathers which I can see in this image.

When in doubt about the head spot double check against their legs.
Cockerels will have yellow shanks. Pullets will have yellow shanks with a black wash.

Barring effects their legs just like their feathers.
Pullets have one copy so it takes away a lot of the black. Cockerel have two copies so it takes away twice as much.
The description you're giving about the one having dark on the front is what's called a "wash".
I've always found the legs are a better way to sex them then the head spot is.
With the pic you posted there's enough wing feathers to see if theyre single or double gene barred.
I just didn't want to give you the answer instead of letting you learn another tell tale sign.

Back
Top Bottom