Barred Rock - hen or rooster? RESULT = HEN

To OP, my vote is girl

To eggeater, my vote is girl for you too.

Woo Hoo, more eggs to eat!
lol.png

Hi All, it's now 13.5 weeks old and STILL unclear to me whether this barred rock chick is a boy or a girl. So far, no crowing that I have heard.

Any further opinions based on the latest pic?

Here's the latest photo (13.5 weeks). Note the comb has continued to develop, but at a slower pace, and wattles have not developed much. Body type? The tail is more upright than my other BR.
7883_blackwing.jpg
7883_img_8111_2.jpg

And the ones previously posted (8 weeks):
7883_bw8.jpg

And at 3 weeks, the chick closer to the waterer.
7883_bwjp.jpg

Last edited:
We're in kinda the same boat.....

Here's 18 week old "Lucy". She's being held by our 4 year old if you're wondering about proportions. (No, she's not a giant chicken.
wink.png
)

I was pretty confident she's a hen........until she let out an unmistakable crow this morning. Not a very good one, but a crow nonetheless.

Does that crowing mean she's a roo? Or could she just be a mixed-up hen?

IMG_3032-1.jpg

UGH!!! Are all Barred Rocks this difficult? My "girls" are 4 mths now and 1 in particular and 6 others out of the 15 are really developing combs and wattles quickly. Any takers on the definitive answer? I have had an egg from someone already and no crowing as of yet but???? HELP! Either way they are lovely curious friendly funny and not in the least afraid of my silly dogs!

42514_roooo.jpg

Last edited:
Get ready if the one that you're holding in the pic. is not laying she'll soon be. At 4 mos. that's still a little early fro them to start so give them a couple or three more wks. and I think you'll have eggs out your ears. The magic number is around 22 wks. for good egg layers like BR's and such to start laying. some of the production strains and hybrids might start a little earlier but not by much.
Fine looking girl though.

Quote:
this is exactly what my barred rock girls look like now so friendly and lay small brown eggs they slowly are getting bigger but thats def a hen you can tell by the comb its not standing tall but im not making any promises i have been wrong before and if i am it wont be the last

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom