Barred Rock Hen/Roo

Malissa

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 4, 2012
Hello there! I know I already have a Welsummer roo and his comb is getting large and red. These Barred Rocks keep having me guessing....one I'm sure is a hen, the other keeps me thinking. I really don't want 2 roos since we are doing this under the radar. My neighbors said they won't mind, but there other others in the neighborhood that might complain and since we only have 1 acre and you need 3 to keep 'livestock', it could get reported. (nevermind the fact that I hear a rooster crowing at a farm over the hill) ANyway...wanted to get some opinions from Barred Rock experts to see if I am needlessly worrying about this! The Welsummer roo was very much behind all 5 others in getting his tail feathers and he is still feathering in while the others are pretty well feathered. Both BR's are feathering at the same pace. The one that is stumping me is much larger of a bird that the other as well. Comb is still small compared to the Welsummer, but it's definitely reddening while the other BR is not. PS...they are just about 4 weeks old.

Oh yeah!!!! Thank you! I drive myself crazy reading all the stuff and then when the comb started looking red I was hoping it wasn't true! I just got used to the idea that our one Welsummer is a male! Secretly, I can't wait until I hear the first croaking cockadoodledoo! ;) Hope the neighborhood feels the same!!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom