Barred rock hen with possible vent gleet and strange white bumb?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickens51002, Jul 7, 2016.

1. chickens51002

chickens51002 New Egg

Jul 7, 2016
    hi im wondering if anyone can help me i recently got a yound barred rock hen whos about 2 years old

she has had vent gleet ever since i got her i have tried everything to fix it probiotics plain yogurt apple cider vinegar trimming vent feathers baths and nothings working and recently i just gave her a bath and she had a strange white bump the size of a pea on her rear just below her vent im wondering if somewone can help me because i just dont know what to do! if you need pictures i will show them.[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Pictures are always helpful. Welcome to BYC? Vent gleet is usually caused by a fungal or bacterial infection of the digestive tract. It may cause featherless red excoriated areas with white or yellowish patches. Antifungal medications should be used along with probiotics, keeping water and feed sources very clean. A vet would be of help with better medicines such as fluconazole or nystatin. Looksinf forward to pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by