Barred Rock Hens, Bossy!

I do believe they did gang up on the poor little guinea & kill it, it was about a month old.

That is not aggressive for any hen. That is normal behavior. Any hen who is not broody will kill a chick. Even a broody will kill a chick that she knows is not hers. It was just too young to be in with your hens.​

I have 3 hatchery barred rocks and they are pretty mellow girls, middle of the road in pecking order of 37 chickens. The real meanies in my flock are the 4 wyandottes (SLW and GLW)--top of the pecking order and even pick on the roo.

I have two barred rocks, Thelma and Louise, named so because they are scrappy gals, and an old english game bantam, Lucy. They are no doubt the bosses, but they are nice to me. They keep their distance from my two cats, but the kitties like to chase them around, so they just turn around and look them in the eye and puff up their neck feathers and the cats leave them alone LOL!

But anyway they are great layers, I get an egg from each (not Lucy) every day. I like that they are tougher, though, because they might ward off some types of predators, however they have never been a problem. I trained them to be held, although they still don't like it much, so they can be nice birds.

Back
Top Bottom