1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock Hens/Roos??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickenDal, Dec 20, 2011.

1. ChickenDal

ChickenDal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2011
    So my 10 Barred Rocks are 1 week old.I have already gotten my extras new homes.We are not allowed any roos, so if possible I'd like to move them along.Thanks for the help, you guys are the best!!

Wife says hen!
    [​IMG]

Wife says roo!!
    [​IMG]

Just a group shot.
    [​IMG]

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The ones with a shading of black down the front of their legs are pullets. Those with yellow feet and legs are Roos. There's also something to do with the white spot on their head but I can never get it right. If the white dot it well defined as opposed to kinda broken up and less defined...one or the other indicates gender as well, but I don't remember which is which. The leg color thing has always worked for me.

The little fella in the first pic is a Roo. You can use him to compare others to.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Just a guess, but I'd say your wife is wrong. Pullets normally have black wash on the fronts of their legs. They also tend to have a more defined, perhaps smaller yellow dot on the top of their head. IF I had to guess, that first one would be a cockerel. Also judging by the color on the wings, cockerels will have more white, the first one looks like a cockerel.

4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I agree with what the others have said. The majority of hatchery stock BR pullets have a dark wash on the fron of their legs. So the one in the first picture could be a little cockerel... It doesn't look like there's any dark wash there. The one your wife said is a male is definitely a pullet. Nice dark wash there.

As far as the white spot on the head, check out this site. http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Sexing_Dominique_chicks.html Yes, it says Dominiques, but it works for BR too. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  5. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Top is a boy the rest are girls

6. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Pic #1 is a roo 100% positive, sorry. The other ones are pullets. You will see more white or a white dot on the top of the head in the shape of a star and yellow legs, those are roos. Pullets have no white or just a small dot on their heads but the dot is round and yellow legs with black on top.

Hope this helps you. Please let us know for sure once they get older.

7. ChickenDal

ChickenDal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2011
    Thanks guys!!O'll put pics up of the others tomorrow.So we can thin out the herd!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by