Barred Rock is attacking cats

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Its Just Us Chickens, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Its Just Us Chickens

Its Just Us Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Mississippi
    Funny chicken behavior. [​IMG]

You know you shake a bag of cat food and the cats come running?
    I've got chickens that come running at the sound of cat food. Helen, my barred rock, will actually work her way up in the middle of everything and if the cats wont move, peck the cats and make them run away (the cats are scarred of the chickens to start with, so this doesn't help).
    I've had to start feeding the cats after dark to keep them from getting attacked.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Can I borrow one of your chickens??? Killer Kitty is still living in the house part-time (while the chickens free-range) cuz she's still trying to get a free chicken dinner. [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That Barred Rock is a keeper!!

4. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    My 4 hen flocks have had little trouble keeping the neighbors' cats out of the yard [​IMG]. There's always a bit of terrorism going on while they are immature but once they hit full weight - the cats stop showing up.

It is amazing - but of course, the 4 of them will team up on the cat [​IMG]. If the cats would learn to hunt in packs, the story might be different. And, these are lazy fat cats for the most part. However, there seems to be no shortage of them whatsoever [​IMG].

Steve
    Barred Rocks and Australorps

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  6. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    [​IMG]

7. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    My cats stay clear of the chickens now too. One cat caught one..once. The chicken lived and they remembered the cat. They actually chase the cats now. If the cats are coming from the barn to the house and a chicken is in their path...they make a wide circle and stay clear.

8. Peaguy

Peaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    Our cat will barely eat because she is terrified of the chickens. Wew have to feed her in the storeroom to keep the dogs out of herfood but the chickens are after her food also and they are living in the storeroom (soon to change!!!Finally!!!!!!)

9. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    My game hen will hit my sister's cat with her wings to make the cat run away,and then she eats the cat food.And the hen is only half the cat's size.We have to feed the cat out front now.

10. rowan1

rowan1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2008
    kingwood nj
    yep same thing here. when the chickens are free ranging i have to stand guard till the cat is done. she's strictly outdoor and starving all the time probably because she won't defend her food. silly cat. i usually feed her before i let the chickens out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by