Barred Rock... Late bloomer or rooster?

Hi juliechick! We're on day 41 and pullet-hood seems more and more likely. The two BR chicks have somewhat different combs but at almost 6 weeks we haven't seen anything resembling Madisan's beautiful cockerel. It is also becoming more difficult to tell which is which if they're perched or roosting, though now the 'cool kids' have found the highest pole. Thanks for having a look, and here's hoping she stays a she! Late Bloomer, Day 41 Other BR Chick, Day 41
2 more pullets! :D

I hope I hope I hope!

From the front on a roosting pole they're difficult to distinguish, but from above and behind, it's still easy to tell who's who.

Day 42

Late Bloomer top left, other BR bottom right

Day 42, Other BR chick left, Late Bloomer right

Well past day 28... You're into 40s. . I have always seen a pinkish comb by 4 weeks on cockerels, except the silkies lol ;)

They're bright yellow combs, no sign of wattles, barring is almost nonexistent as far as roo barring... Not showing any saddle or hackle feathers, although the one to the left has a fluffy looking tail, its not really old enough yet to have any distinguishable tail feathers but the barring is too muddled on that one too...

Safe bet by now for BRs, I do think they are both girls ;)

Last edited:
fl.gif
Thanks shortgrass! Hoping the different paths these BRs took to this point will land them in the nest box! I'll continue to update the pictures as we go for others to reference, hopefully the tail of two pullets...

Thanks again to Madison for posting updated BR chicks of one of each sex. Your babies also make very clear what someone in another thread had said about cockerels looking like white birds with black stripes and pullets looking like black birds with white speckles, especially your last picture with the two together! The Late Bloomer (with some irony) seems to display that more clearly.
We're almost at 7 weeks with just the beginning of some wattles coming in-- no big comb changes. =)

Thanks again to Madison for posting updated BR chicks of one of each sex. Your babies also make very clear what someone in another thread had said about cockerels looking like white birds with black stripes and pullets looking like black birds with white speckles, especially your last picture with the two together! The Late Bloomer (with some irony) seems to display that more clearly. We're almost at 7 weeks with just the beginning of some wattles coming in-- no big comb changes. =)
Wow both of their combs are still very yellow! Pretty babies you have :)

Wow both of their combs are still very yellow! Pretty babies you have
smile.png

We went away for a week (chicks are now 8 weeks old) and my, how they grew!

Out "other" BR chick's tail changed and seems lighter, though the comb is still small and yellow.
All 3 below are the "other" BR chick at 8 weeks of age:

"Late Bloomer" at 8 weeks:

We went away for a week (chicks are now 8 weeks old) and my, how they grew!

Out "other" BR chick's tail changed and seems lighter, though the comb is still small and yellow.
All 3 below are the "other" BR chick at 8 weeks of age:

"Late Bloomer" at 8 weeks:

Just molting tail feathers, not an indication of a cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom