barred rock lethargic looks swolen

finestservice

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 5, 2013

Hi everyone need some help new to chickens and not sure if this is normal. She is a barred rock I also have two reds and a golden wyndotte all about 24 week olds and two dominiques 4 month olds. She has been very lethargic not walking around much just laying there and keeping her head tucked in, not getting up to roost at night looks very bloated. Had to clean her rear side a couple times runny green poop. about 2 weeks ago stayed in nesting box for 2 days and did not want to get out just stareing off into space. i thought she was going broody have there was a egg under her, but only been getting eggs for a couple weeks. Took egg away and seemed to go back to normal then started this yesterday she is eating and did go out to free range today . About three weeks one of my 4 month old has similar symptoms but had gotten pecked really bad to back of neck from rooster I thought it was from the peck but symptoms may have started before and then ended up getting pecked we ended up loosing her. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I would treat the flock for coccidiosis with Corid (amprollium) liquid 2 tsp or powder 1 teaspoonful per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Diarrhea, sitting puffed up, ruffled feathers, and poor appetite are the symptoms of coccidiosis. After treatment offer probiotics and vitamins in the their water, and worm with Safeguard or Valbazen. I would also check her under her vent for signs of lice and mites. Here are pictures of what to look for: http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

checked for mites and lice around vent and under wings didn't see any should I isolate her?

It's easy enough to check. Get a rubber glove, lubricate a finger and insert it about 1 1/2 inches into the vent. If there is an egg, give a crushed Tums or calcium tablet, or crumbled egg shells in some yogurt, then soak in a hot bath for at least 30 minutes before wrapping her in a towel.

update

had to get her out of coop this morning gave her a warm bath then blow dried and toweled her.
a few hours later came back with the medicine found she had really taken a turn for worse laying on her side breathing heavy wings down shaking and pale comb. separated her to the barn in her in a cage with medicated water and food. gave her some with a dropper to get some in her system.

update

comb seems to getting color back but still very lethargic not moving around much has very watery poop did not eat today.

Back
Top Bottom