Barred Rock not eating or drinking

auringer6

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 21, 2013
Hello I have a 1 year old barred Rock. She is refusing to eat. I don't know what to do.

Breed: barred Rock
Egg bound: NO
Croup: empty unless Force feed
Poop : Watery Bright green.
Comb: was pail till force water and vitamin's now red.

Things tried:
yogurt fish oil 1x, today , vitamins, Duramycin-10. X3 times a day 4 days. Also wormed her.

When I force feed her she would squawk really loud for about 10 mins after feed, and act like she is going to vomit. Tonight I force fed her some food mixed with antibiotic water. Although she did not squawk, she is still acting like she has reflux. She will not eat anything at all. I have tried scrambled eggs, cheese, lunch meat, anything I know the chickens love I have tried to get her eat. I don't understand what is going on with her. When I feel her stomach area, it feels like a bean bag of sand. I don't know if this is normal. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium member
9 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
There could be a blockage below the crop in the gizzard. Could there have been anything in her environment that she could have eaten by accident that caused a blockage. I have never treated this, although a hen I recently necropsied had a gizzard impaction from sunflower seed hulls. She really needs a vet, but if that isn't possible, I would give an epson salt flush or some mineral oil, and then push her to drink lots of water. Maybe someone who knows more than I do will chime in.

auringer6

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 21, 2013
Thank you. What will the salt do? And yes they where free range till recently so who knows.

Last edited:

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium member
9 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
The epsom salt--1 teaspoonful in 1/2 cup water given in a few sips twice a day for 2-3 days would give diarrhea and hopefully flush anything blocking the gizzard. Mineral oil or castor oil would do the same.

auringer6

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 21, 2013
ok thank you, I noticed that bump in the middle of her legs is getting smaller. So MAYBE the oil earlier helped her move it along? We will see. She seems to be doing fine other then not eating. And thank you everyone on my facebook board was quick to say cull her. And I am not ready to give up yet.

auringer6

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 21, 2013
Good news she was drinking this morning!!! Hopefully eating is the next step!

Top Bottom