Barred Rock Or Dominique?

Can someone tell me if this is a Barred Rock or Dominique?

She is neither (not trying to sound harsh here) but that color pattern is one you would get from a cross of a Barred/cuckoo pattern over a Red(gold gene) female. With that pullet showing the rose comb she could be a cross of a Dominique male over something like RIR, production red,Buff Orpington or many more red females to mention but she is not a pure barred/cuckoo bird though.

Jeff

Last edited:
Deleted a double post here oopsie daisies
hu.gif

Last edited:
I have some home grown Cuckoo Marans pullets with that in their hackles. Should I not use them? The were from a Cuckoo x Blue Cuckoo....

Because of her comb she is from a Dominique.

She is neither (not trying to sound harsh here) but that color pattern is one you would get from a cross of a Barred/cuckoo pattern over a Red(gold gene) female. With that pullet showing the rose comb she could be a cross of a Dominique male over something like RIR, production red,Buff Orpington or many more red females to mention but she is not a pure barred/cuckoo bird though.

Jeff

Ok then how about this one? I have two that are fairly lighter on the chest area...and two that are darker on the chest area like this one.... Would this one be a pure or not?

Ok then how about this one? I have two that are fairly lighter on the chest area...and two that are darker on the chest area like this one.... Would this one be a pure or not?

I would say this one looks more like a hatchery type Dominique, but in the pic the legs are to light(pinkinsh-white) should be yellow with the grayish overlay on them, but sometimes that's about as close as the factories try to get them. They probly will be good producers for eggs though as most hatchery stock are.

Jeff

Last edited:
I would say this one looks more like a hatchery type Dominique, but in the pic the legs are to light(pinkinsh-white) should be yellow with the grayish overlay on them, but sometimes that's about as close as the factories try to get them. They probly will be god producers for eggs though as most hatchery stock are.

Jeff
Ok well hmmm.... Im starting to wonder if my "Rhode Island Red" is actually one or not or if this guy doesnt know his *** from a hole in the ground.........

Here is a better picture of the differences in the two. One is lighter..one is darker...... I guess unless your an EXPERT chicken person than you never know what you will get..... Would what I have still produce a nice Black Sex Link though even though they may/may not be Pure Breds?......... Thanks so much for the help

Here is a better picture of the differences in the two. One is lighter..one is darker...... I guess unless your an EXPERT chicken person than you never know what you will get..... Would what I have still produce a nice Black Sex Link though even though they may/may not be Pure Breds?......... Thanks so much for the help

Your big Red rooster with the darker barred hens for sure, the lighter ones would be close too but with them being more than likely half breeds they could throw off some reds or multi-colored offspring.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom