Barred Rock Poll - Love, Hate, or Neutral, you vote.

How do you rank Barred Rocks (a.k.a Barred Plymouth Rocks)

• Love them

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Like them

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Neutral

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Dislike them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hate them

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Meh. I have a partridge rock, not a barred, and the breed seems hardy enough from what I've witnessed, I'm just not a fan of how popular the barreds are
I am the opposite and hated my partridge lol I had a BR before who was amazing so I thought I’d mix it up and try to get a different color and she was the meanest, most anti social bird ever lol both with me and other birds. Just nothing like my Barred was. Also zero personality. Didn’t stand out at all, wasn’t friendly with me lol the others usually all ran up to me. Not her lol I hated her :oops: and I don’t usually hate any birds LOL never again. She was pretty though I guess. But even then, I had prettier birds lol she also didn’t even lay that well lol meanwhile, I absolutely LOVED my Barred. She was so friendly and a great layer lol also a great forager.

Meh. Plymouth rocks are just bland in general. I love barred birds, but when I want one I'm likely to go for bantam cochins, OEGBs, olive Eggers, or project Ameraucanas.

I am the opposite and hated my partridge lol I had a BR before who was amazing so I thought I’d mix it up and try to get a different color and she was the meanest, most anti social bird ever lol both with me and other birds. Just nothing like my Barred was. Also zero personality. Didn’t stand out at all, wasn’t friendly with me lol the others usually all ran up to me. Not her lol I hated her :oops: and I don’t usually hate any birds LOL never again. She was pretty though I guess. But even then, I had prettier birds lol she also didn’t even lay that well lol meanwhile, I absolutely LOVED my Barred. She was so friendly and a great layer lol also a great forager.
I have had many large breed BR's through the years and have always enjoyed them. Currently have five BR bantam hens that will be six years old next April and they have been great hens and are still laying.

My favorite hen ever is a barred rock. She’s friendly & bold, loves to get cuddled and doesn’t understand personal space. She’s a sweetie! Here’s a baby pic:

1667421321848.jpeg

May I ask, in not the best luck do you mean personality, or hardiness, or both? I am trying to see what people on here think of these birds for my curiosity. Thank you.

P.S. Cute profile picture.
I wasn't ever able to keep them for the most part. They were wanderers and would get into trouble because of that. My last BR that I was actually able to keep, often got my TSC Silkie in trouble because she'd lead her too far away. That BR ended up getting sick, were as the rest of the other chickens were healthy. They are beautiful birds, but their tendency to go further than any of my other chickens make them hard to keep around.

Thanks! That's my Easter Egger pullet, Owl. :D

Back
Top Bottom