Barred Rock Pullet- Irregular Egg Question

mrskenmore

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 21, 2014
Long Island, NY
I currently have a 6 month old barred rock pullet that has been laying for about 5 weeks now. The first egg that she ever laid was two shell less eggs at the same time. Her eggs following that were fine and healthy with spots on them. She laid about 6 eggs a week for 3 weeks and then laid another shell less egg. The next 2 weeks were good again back to the spotted eggs and then she laid a shell less egg with a balloon knot at the end that led to another shell less egg remnant with some egg white on it. The day after that she did not lay and then laid this jumbo egg. Please see attached photo for reference. It is placed next to one of her healthy eggs. Is this typical of a newly laying pullet? My other two ladies have had no problems whatsoever so I am am bit concerned for my barred rock. I looked at her vent after she laid the jumbo egg and it looked healthy and lubricated, not red or pink, but a fleshy light peach color. My question is this typical of a newly laying pullet or is she having some problems with her system?

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

I'm very new to keeping chickens. But from the information on BYC and other Web site it appears to be normal when they first start laying. For the past couple of days we have been back to her small eggs. My first egg was very soft shell but shells have been ok since that. But I've read that the odd soft shell or irregular size is very common. Hope this helps but like I said I'm very new to chicken keeping. So you may get an answer from someone with a lot more experience.

Thanks debbieducker!

I am new too- and since she has only been laying for 5 weeks- I assumed it was normal until they get into a laying groove- just didn't know when that would be and what to expect in the first few months of laying. She is very happy and healthy so I am not too worried, but just wanted to check.

Any help is always appreciated!

I've 3 warren but only 1 started laying nearly 2 weeks ago still waiting for my first eggs from the other two. Even though I'm new I love my very small flock and constantly learning new stuff on here.

Here's an article of egg quality problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems
As you can see, a lot of them are simply caused by a young pullet just starting to lay
When my girls first started laying, I got soft-shelled eggs, "roosters eggs", double-yolkers, weird shaped eggs. All kinds of strange defects!
My littlest hen once laid an egg the size of a duck egg, and it ended up having two yolks.
You'll get a weird egg from time to time, but if she doesn't grow out of it, take a look at her diet and see what you can do there. The article I linked has some good info :)

This is very helpful- thank you! I figured it was because she was young and new to laying. I will keep an eye on her and her eggs as she gets older- she does love to eat :)

Back
Top Bottom