barred rock, pullet or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicknadventure, May 21, 2012.

1. chicknadventure

chicknadventure Songster

Apr 3, 2012
    southeast
    ok, so I was told this was a pullet, but then I thought it was a roo b/c the other BR I bought at the same time is now looking very different than this bird.it is about 4 months old in these pics taken today. the thing that is throwing me back to pullet is that there are no spurs, just "nubbins"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    That's a hen who is maturing and considered to be at the POL (point of lay). She's gearing up to lay a beautiful big brown egg for you!

3. chicknadventure

chicknadventure Songster

Apr 3, 2012
    southeast
    wow! very awesome! what a surprise....she was almost dinner a few nights ago :/ I decided to check the spurs one more time....

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Instead of eating her for dinner, she's gonna make you some breakfast! What a deal!

5. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

PULLET Stephanie, PULLET!! Eggs on the near horizon!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Just an FYI

Roosters don't even get spurs until they are close to a year old so you cannot go by that.

7. JesseS

JesseS In the Brooder

May 20, 2012
    Home
    Thats definately a pullet! It looks like she's going to be laying soon. And also, rooster don't have spurs until they are about a year old.

8. chicknadventure

chicknadventure Songster

Apr 3, 2012
    southeast
    Oh well. I did not realize that first took so long to develop. I guess I won't use that anymore to sex my chickens hahaha :) or I could be eating a lot of hens woops! Hubby is at lowes now to get tbe nesting box. Any suggesrio.s to teach the chickens what it is? We thought we had several months.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: