I think my “pullet” is a roo

diegs129

In the Brooder
May 5, 2023
I got 4 pullets at TS. It said starlight green egger pullets. I think 2 of them might be Roos though. I would love more feedback on my thoughts! I am posting pics of all 4 for comparisons.. my concerns for the Roos are 3 and 4. The comb on 3 is very light so that’s hopeful. Thanks for any input!

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpeg
    IMG_0458.jpeg
    382.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0452.jpeg
    IMG_0452.jpeg
    385.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0463.jpeg
    IMG_0463.jpeg
    578.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0457.jpeg
    IMG_0457.jpeg
    684.9 KB · Views: 18
I got 4 pullets at TS. It said starlight green egger pullets. I think 2 of them might be Roos though. I would love more feedback on my thoughts! I am posting pics of all 4 for comparisons.. my concerns for the Roos are 3 and 4. The comb on 3 is very light so that’s hopeful. Thanks for any input!
#4 definitely looks male to me.

#3 and #2 I can't say for sure, but those tiny little wattles are very red, so I would definitely keep an eye on them as they get older.

#4 is definitely male, and the amount of comb and wattle growth the other too are showing at this age makes me think they are males as well.
Oh my. I hope you’re not right 😞 all my chickens last year were “pullets” and all turned out to be true so I figured I couldn’t go wrong getting from the pullet bin. I did reference pictures of my isa browns from last year and their combs and wattles were very similar to these chicks at the same age with the exception of chick 4. Fingers crossed 🤞🏼

Oh my. I hope you’re not right 😞 all my chickens last year were “pullets” and all turned out to be true so I figured I couldn’t go wrong getting from the pullet bin. I did reference pictures of my isa browns from last year and their combs and wattles were very similar to these chicks at the same age with the exception of chick 4. Fingers crossed 🤞🏼

Sometimes a bin at the store gets labeled wrong, or sometimes chicks get into the wrong bin (especially once they start trying to fly!) It seems that some stores have this problem more than others (maybe different bin setup, maybe employees that are more careful or less careful, maybe employees that know more about chickens so they can spot mixups and fix them-- lots of possible factors.)

But whether they are actually males or females, hopefully it will become clear within the next few weeks, so you don't have to spend too much time wondering. (Other than #4: it is already clear that he is a male.)

Chick #4 is definitely a cockerel, along with #2 and #3 looking suspicious. You will be able to tell the gender of #2 and #3 at six weeks old.

SilverBirds is right.

Tractor Supply is known for mixing up their chicks very frequently and having a lack of knowledge in poultry. I wouldn't doubt it.

Chick #4 is definitely a cockerel, along with #2 and #3 looking suspicious. You will be able to tell the gender of #2 and #3 at six weeks old.

SilverBirds is right.

Tractor Supply is known for mixing up their chicks very frequently and having a lack of knowledge in poultry. I wouldn't doubt it.
I agree on all comments.

Back
Top Bottom