Barred Rock Roo

Oct 22, 2018
Recently, my roo has became aggressive towards me. When I go out to them,he will charge. He only does this to me(and other human females). He is fine around men.

Is this normal?

Welcome. It isn't normal or abnormal. It definitely isn't desirable. Did you handle him a lot as her grew up? Young roosters that are too familiar with humans will often start attacking when they reach sexual maturity. Some will tell you it's his breed, but I've had barred rock roosters that didn't care one hoot about me and were respectful.

Generally this behavior will escalate. It's best to raise young roosters so they keep their natural wariness of people. Otherwise that familiarity that comes with petting and taming puts you within the flock as a member that needs dominating by him.

I did handle them when they were young chicks (set of two, one hen, and the roo) as I had no clue if they were both hens or not.

It just strikes me as odd that he only acts this way towards females!

Thank you for the information.

Chickens can read human body language. Human females are often more meek, so often roosters will pick up on that and attack them first. I carry myself in a dominant manner around my birds. It's important to stand square, walk with confidence, make birds move away from you, and never give your back to a rooster who may be eyeballing you.

Men often already move in a dominant manner. A real confident rooster will go after the men as well eventually.

Next time don't handle the males, and make sure they move away from you, never towards. Setting up good manners in male chicks will carry through to adulthood.

Back
Top Bottom