Barred Rock... Roo?

MKKimmen

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 19, 2010
Michigans Upper Peninsula
I posted a pic of Rocky a few weeks ago, when he was about 2.5 weeks old and everyone voted Roo. Here he is at 4.5 weeks old now.... I think he is deffinitly a little Roo! What do you guys think?? He is much lighter colored than our other 4.5 week old BR Pullet.

DSC02316.jpg

Yeah our female is way darker with more black and barley a comb! But this guy is pretty handsome I think! Great colors/markings!
smile.png
So I guess we have one of each BR's!

Anyone know what a good Hen to Rooster ratio is??

We currently have 11 Chickens total. 10 pullets/hens and the 1 little Roo. We will be sending our 3 oldest laying hens to a Farm later this summer, and just be keeping the 8 Chickens that we have raised from Chick's. Then we will have a 1rooster to 7hen ratio. But this next Spring we will most likely be getting 2-3 more Pullets, so then we will have the 1rooster to 10hen ratio. I am hoping Rocky our little Roo works out well, we didnt plan on having a Roo, but I can't imagine giving him away now since we have had him since he was days old. Any suggestions on raising a sweet rooster?
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Don't let him think he's dominate over you, I give my young roosters what I call "The stare", where I sit in the run and when one of my roos comes near me, I bend over and stare right in their eyes. They see this as a challenge and if they are below you in rank they'll back off but if they stare back they think they're above you, They I grap them and pinch the back of their necks lightly until they calm down. Works every time.*

*Do this before they have spurs!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom