Barred rock rooster cross. What will babies look like?

Jmiller89

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
One of our hens just hatched out two chicks. The rooster is a barred rock and we have different types of hens. 1 barred rock, 2 RIR, 1 white Brahma, 1 silver Wyandotte, 2 black Australorps. Am I correct in thinking all hens would be barred rock color? And Roos would be the color of their mothers? I’ve seen one red chick, mama was hiding the other.

I have 2 barred rock chicken that are 3.5 weeks old. Rooster, their father was a barred rock, mother a red shaver. One chick is black and Barred the other is a yellow colour turning white with new feathers with black specs here and there. I am thinking the blacked barred was a male due to behaviour and a slightly larger comb. So I'm not sure how the cross breeding works..... Interested as well.

Both of the chicks are yellow/red. It’s going back to be hard to tell the mama that they aren’t hers...

Attachments

• 8FAEE8DF-3398-439D-B917-DE8C8AAACA67.png
    8FAEE8DF-3398-439D-B917-DE8C8AAACA67.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
One of our hens just hatched out two chicks. The rooster is a barred rock and we have different types of hens. 1 barred rock, 2 RIR, 1 white Brahma, 1 silver Wyandotte, 2 black Australorps. Am I correct in thinking all hens would be barred rock color? And Roos would be the color of their mothers? I’ve seen one red chick, mama was hiding the other.
The chicks will not be sex linked. If the male is double barred then all offspring will be barred. If he is single barred then half the offspring, regardless of gender, will be barred.

Here you go.

Attachments

• D1069F8F-7F6A-4976-AEDB-C692105BD0E4.jpeg
    D1069F8F-7F6A-4976-AEDB-C692105BD0E4.jpeg
    975.7 KB · Views: 36
Looking at the chicks I think the mother should be the RIRs .

Regarding their future look I guess they might just look like RIR but displaying some more black.

From my own experience with heritage RIR their red is dominant and all crosses I had over the years displayed the RIR red only with slight differences in dawn feather colouring.

Last edited:
Looking at the chicks I think the mother should be the RIRs .

Regarding their future look I guess they might just look like RIR but displaying some more black.

From my own experience with heritage RIR their red is dominant and all crosses I had over the years displayed the RIR red only with slight differences in dawn feather colouring.
Yeah I was thinking RIR as well. The only other possibility was the Brahma but neither egg looked like her egg.

Back
Top Bottom