Barred Rock rooster has severe frostbite

He’s gonna be okay, but he’s gonna lose that comb for sure. I had a hen lose hers due to an injury, but not due to frostbite. It just shriveled up and fell off.

My poor boy :( Glad to hear he should be fine though. I’m at a loss for what happened to him. I was thinking he possibly somehow got wet or something in the snow and I didn’t notice, maybe when it was snowing?

My barred rock rooster also has a blackened comb. None of my other birds have frostbite so I think it is due to something else. Your birds wattles look blackened. My rooster also has blacked wattles. The hens keep picking at them. My roosters wattles were damaged before there was any thought of frostbite. Is there any other cause for our roosters to look like this?

I can just barely see some darkened toes in the pic. Can you get some close up pics of his feet?

Okay, I just saw the pic of his comb. Is it swollen? He will probably have a rounded off comb in the future. Cannyou get some hydrogel spray, sometimes under the name Vetericyn, Theracyn or others at your feed store to treat his comb?

Doesnt seem swollen to me and if it is it’s minimal. I will for sure have a look!

Can you check that there is some room at the top of the coop for good air circulation overhead to prevent humidity from collecting? Humidity in freezing temps can cause frostbite. His waddles too will be rounded off some when he heals. It can be hard to prevent frostbite in large combs in really freezing temperatures. Wattles freeze if they get wet from the water.

Back
Top Bottom