Barred Rock Rooster or Hen?

Ivytalon

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 12, 2012
We got two Barred Rocks and thought they were 2 hens, recently one of them has been growing bigger, he/she is a darker shade of red in the comb, and seems to be growing a tiny set of stubby spurs right now. I need to know because if so we need to separate him from our other hens. They have not started laying yet.

I think if you look there is tiny nub's growing, I have never had a rooster before so I dont know what to look for on his legs.

Thats his/her face and some of the barring pattern. The other barred rock has a smaller and less red comb and is smaller.

All chickens have spur buds. In most hens they never develop beyond that, but of course roosters develop spurs. The picture is a little iffy, but going by the dark nature of her barring and general appearance, I think she is a pullet close to POL.

Why do you need to separate them?
hu.gif
The dark wash down the leg is ONE sign of pullet. But yes a full body shot of BOTH would help. Roos will have a WHITER look than a pullet.

I think it's a pullet getting close to lay. But, as stated, age and a body profile shot would help. Spur buds aren't a reliable indicator of gender as both sexes can have them. The color looks pullet, but really need age.

And I agree, why would you need to separate him if he's a roo? Unless you have purebreds you're collecting eggs for hatching?

Last edited:
To be honest i dont know why we would separate them, they've always been together and freak out if they aren't. We only have 4 hens in a tiny flock for eggs, 2 Easter Eggers and 2 Barred Rocks. My mother want's to because she doesn't want baby chickens.

Its night time so they were roosting and it was hard for me to get a good picture of them both because they would not move at all.
hmm.png

The one we pretty much know is a hen.

The one in question.

They are approximately 3-4 months old. The person i recieved them from had no idea what they are.

I'd say eggs from that one- soon, too. Oh and even if it was a rooster, you wouldn't get baby chicks unless you let one of your chickens sit on the eggs for 21 days or incubated them yourself- and barred rocks almost never brood.

I'd say eggs from that one- soon, too. Oh and even if it was a rooster, you wouldn't get baby chicks unless you let one of your chickens sit on the eggs for 21 days or incubated them yourself- and barred rocks almost never brood.
I wish you would tell that to mine!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom