Barred Rock Rooster questions

SASnCoBYC

Chirping
Mar 28, 2021
Illinois
Hi All! First time Chicken Mom. I have 3 Barred Rocks that were supposed to be pullets, but I'm thinking one might be a cockrel. My chicks are in the 4-5 week old range. He/She is bigger than the other two BRs, (closer in size actually to the light brahmas) and I've been noticing in the last day or two his/her legs and feet seem larger than the other two BR chicks and the other chicks also. It's probably too early to tell for sure, but I'm not going to be upset about getting a roo as I understand mistakes happen and was kinda hoping to end up with an accidental roo.

So some questions for those familiar with the Barred Rock breed, how are the rooster's temperaments? I have human kiddos, I know, individual roosters have unique personalities and they can go through phases as they mature, but in general, are they okay to have with kids around? How are they with their hens? If the one in question is a roo, I have 13 other chicks in 3 other breeds I am assuming are pullets. The other breeds are 4 cinnamon queens, 4 light brahma and 3 americauna/easter eggers. If I wanted to trying hatching out chicks in the future, any suggestions on which of these would make the best mixes? Appreciate all your insights.

Pics included on his/her favorite perch.

Edited to add - any idea what kind of coloring I would get from these possible mixes? Would love to see your pics if you have any. Thanks!

Have a blessed day!

IMG_20210413_131219343.jpg IMG_20210413_131226113.jpg IMG_20210413_131232798.jpg

Looks like it might be a cockerel to me! Hatcheries generally have a 80% success rate when sexing their chicks. Barred plymouth rock boys tend to be fairly easy to notice as they usually have;

-large, white head spot
-yellow legs
-more white in the barring/striped pattern

As to temperament, someone else will have to comment as I've never personally owned one of these boys : D and genetically the crosses... You'll probably have a good amount of barred chicks but Easter Eggers and Cinnamon Queens are both technically 'hybrids' or 'hatchery mixes' so their genetics are who knows what! Which should be fun if you intend to breed and hatch chicks : D

Looks like it might be a cockerel to me! Hatcheries generally have a 80% success rate when sexing their chicks. Barred plymouth rock boys tend to be fairly easy to notice as they usually have;

-large, white head spot
-yellow legs
-more white in the barring/striped pattern

As to temperament, someone else will have to comment as I've never personally owned one of these boys : D and genetically the crosses... You'll probably have a good amount of barred chicks but Easter Eggers and Cinnamon Queens are both technically 'hybrids' or 'hatchery mixes' so their genetics are who knows what! Which should be fun if you intend to breed and hatch chicks : D
Thanks for responding. I know time will tell for sure.

I have a twenty week old barred rock rooster myself. I hand raised him, and he free ranges. There are three other roosters in the large flock and so far we’ve never had problems or injuries as long as theirs plenty of hens to go around. Chickens are usually far easier when their free ranging as we do. But in General barred rocks are known as being very chill for their large size, and very pretty to! We also have an Easter egger rooster, and I prefer my BR to him, as my BR is heavier and slower and easier to catch. The hens can avoid him better since he’s slower when they want to. And their very pretty! Very stereotypically rooster looking, out EE roo has gorgeous colors but Dave is a very good rooster. Their quite large, almost ten pounds and very impressive. I would say their better with children than most roosters. But make sure he regularly sees and interacts with the children in his childhood and they understand what ways are okay to interact with animals. The cinnamon queens and EEs are most mixes so that’s hard to tell the outcome, but the BR Brahma mix would look like a VERY large bird with feathered feet and light barring over the mother’s coloring.
And here’s a picture of my baby, Dave. 😊

Attachments

• 86F4090B-8EDB-40F4-9357-3531919E9600.jpeg
    86F4090B-8EDB-40F4-9357-3531919E9600.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 17
I have a twenty week old barred rock rooster myself. I hand raised him, and he free ranges. There are three other roosters in the large flock and so far we’ve never had problems or injuries as long as theirs plenty of hens to go around. Chickens are usually far easier when their free ranging as we do. But in General barred rocks are known as being very chill for their large size, and very pretty to! We also have an Easter egger rooster, and I prefer my BR to him, as my BR is heavier and slower and easier to catch. The hens can avoid him better since he’s slower when they want to. And their very pretty! Very stereotypically rooster looking, out EE roo has gorgeous colors but Dave is a very good rooster. Their quite large, almost ten pounds and very impressive. I would say their better with children than most roosters. But make sure he regularly sees and interacts with the children in his childhood and they understand what ways are okay to interact with animals. The cinnamon queens and EEs are most mixes so that’s hard to tell the outcome, but the BR Brahma mix would look like a VERY large bird with feathered feet and light barring over the mother’s coloring.
And here’s a picture of my baby, Dave. 😊
He’s BEAUTIFUL!!

Wow, this post feels like ages ago now. All three BRs appear to be hens at this point. Waiting anxiously for the first egg. They are right about 19 to 20ish weeks old. Their combs and wattles are well developed and nice and red. Hoping before I go back to work full time in the office the first week of August.

Back
Top Bottom