Barred rock roosters?

I would say hen; roosters are usually lighter and have a redder/bigger comb at that age.
Thanks! That's reassuring. This is just one aggressive little hen then! She sits on top of the water bottle all day and monitors everyone. If she sees something she doesn't like, she flies in and attacks. And when I stick my hand in the brooder, she goes after me too. They are going outside this weekend, though, (they were supposed to today, but my mom is in the ICU and life has been a roller coaster the last couple of weeks), so maybe having more space will calm her down!

You say they are 4 weeks? Are you sure they are pure Barred rocks? The coloring says you have too hens but the comb looks very large and red for a hen at 4 weeks.
Yes - 4 weeks and 2 days. They're supposedly pure barred rocks from McMurray Hatchery. The comb and behavior (see my post above) are what made me think twice. I may just have to wait and see.

Just based on coloring, looks like a pair. A comb shot of the other bird would help confirm.
I actually can't even see the comb on the other one in the picture. I'm confident she's a she. There are four of them - the one in the background is really dark with very little white (I even get her mixed up with my black cochins). The other two are somewhere in between, color-wise, and their combs aren't nearly as visible. I'll see if I can get pictures of the others tomorrow.

I actually can't even see the comb on the other one in the picture. I'm confident she's a she. There are four of them - the one in the background is really dark with very little white (I even get her mixed up with my black cochins). The other two are somewhere in between, color-wise, and their combs aren't nearly as visible. I'll see if I can get pictures of the others tomorrow.
Pictures of all of them (combs if you can) would be helpful!

Back
Top Bottom