1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock Sexing- 3 week olds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by canofstew, Mar 18, 2013.

1. canofstew

canofstew Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    I will try and post pictures soon, my phone camera takes horrible pics... [​IMG] We've got two BR (supposed to be pullets)... three weeks old tomorrow and both are feathering out nicely- same pace. However the last day or so I've noticed that chick A is feathering in with more white than chick B. Chick A comb is still nice and yellow and the tiniest light pink wattles. Chick B has less white, mostly black feathers but it's comb is definitely a bit larger and more pink, as well as a bit larger wattles that are a darker pink.

I was under the impression that the roos will feather out with more white bars than pullets, but the one whose feathering like a pullet is showing comb/wattle development sooner... any advice based on these factors?! They're pretty well the same size, both have dark gray/black on feet and up legs...

2. My suggestions is ...... wait a few more weeks and you will be more able to tell.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dead easy at 5-6 weeks. The difference is unmistakeable.

Heritage birds
    [​IMG]

Hatchery birds

[​IMG]

4. canofstew

canofstew Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    Mine are hatchery birds, that's obvious by looking at these photos you posted... the feathering on my two are exactly like the bottom ones- one has more white than the other- does that mean roo? I will wait another couple weeks...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by