Barred Rock started laying at 18 weeks, then stopped entirely

Kluckners

Chirping
Apr 25, 2020
Seattle
Our Barred Rock started laying on August 7 (double yolker in the nest) at 18 weeks. She laid again on August 10 (normal egg In the nest) and then again August 12 (soft shell, laid outside of the nest in the coop, possibly while roosting).

So now it’s been nearly 4 weeks with no eggs since those first three.

Since then, no eggs. They don’t free range and there are no eggs hiding anywhere in our small backyard. She’s on layer feed and has oyster shell. We’re in Seattle, the weather isn’t too hot or cold.

She’s acting totally normal otherwise. Sometimes does an egg song but I haven’t seen her go back into the nest.

I guess I’ll keep waiting but is there anything else I can or anything I should worry about or check out? She seems very happy otherwise, she’s very friendly, and definitely on top of the pecking order.

But days are getting shorter faster.
Is she your only bird?

I've got 4 birds. She laid first.

Our Wyandotte just started last week and she's laid every day or every other day.

The Barred Rock still hasn't laid again. 4.5 weeks without laying since those first few eggs.

Our Buff Orp and Cochin haven't laid yet.

I’m glad you posted this, our Barred Rock did the same thing, she laid about 4-5 eggs then stopped completely about a month ago. She is otherwise healthy and happy. The only factor that changed was the outside temperature dropped and daylight hours changed. We have 4 out of our 6 hens that have continued to lay normally.

Back
Top Bottom