Barred Rock Stunted Growth HELP

eveleychook

Songster
Feb 23, 2020
Since my Barred Rock was 9-10 weeks old her growth has been really slow since then, she is now 17-18 weeks of age. I know that Barred Rocks are really slow growing birds but not this slow. See pictures below.

IMG20201224155623.jpg
IMG20201224155725.jpg
IMG20201224155715.jpg

Here are my other Pullets For Size Comparison

One of My Welsummer Pullets

IMG20201224155800.jpg

My SLW. My Biggest Pullet.

IMG20201224155809.jpg

My Two Light Sussex Cross Pullets are the same size as my Barred Rock at 10-11 Weeks of age.

IMG20201224155837.jpg

Please tell me what could be wrong and how I can help her growth/ reach her minimum size.

Is she eating well? Is she missing any nutrients? Does she have worms? How is her crop? In the first picture, something looks seriously wrong. Looking at her skull, it looks like everything is sunken in. You can make out every part of her skull. Her beak and legs look pale. Her eyes kinda looks pale. Her skin looks pale. Her feathers aren't growing healthy. Her toes are way too skinny too. She looks like she's starving, so is there a possibility that she has a tapeworm? Your other hens look perfectly healthy, so whatever it is, it's only affecting her. I have never seen a chicken like this before in my life. I did have a pullet that lost a lot of weight due to a cruel pecking order, but in this case, I don't think that pecking order is the issue. Just looking at her in the pictures says that hens aren't constantly cruelly pecking her. I don't know if anything I said will help, but I'm hoping that perhaps I might of helped point you in a direction to finding the problem. I don't want to worry you too much, but I'm afraid that if you can't find and fix the problem soon, that you might lose her. I really wish that I could of helped more. I hope that you're able to find and fix the problem. :hugs

Last edited:
Is she eating well? Is she missing any nutrients? Does she have worms? How is her crop? In the first picture, something looks seriously wrong. Looking at her skull, it looks like everything is sunken in. You can make out every part of her skull. Her beak and legs look pale. Her eyes kinda looks pale. Her skin looks pale. Her feathers aren't growing healthy. Her toes are way too skinny too. She looks like she's starving, so is there a possibility that she has a tapeworm? Your other hens look perfectly healthy, so whatever it is, it's only affecting her. I have never seen a chicken like this before in my life. I did have a pullet that lost a lot of weight due to a cruel pecking order, but in this case, I don't think that pecking order is the issue. Just looking at her in the pictures says that hens aren't constantly cruelly pecking her. I don't know if anything I said will help, but I'm hoping that perhaps I might of helped point you in a direction to finding the problem. I don't want to worry you too much, but I'm afraid that if you can't find and fix the problem soon, that you might lose her. I really wish that I could of helped more. I hope that you're able to find and fix the problem. :hugs

Thanks for reply, hopefully will find a solution.

Here, I did a quick search on the internet on tapeworms in chickens. Here's a link of one of the articles that I found: http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/tapeworms
I don't know if you'll find this helpful, but if tapeworms is the issue, this page had some things for treatment.

It's not worms. There are two possibilities: The other pullets might be preventing her from eating (bottom of the pecking order.) If that's the case, provide another feeder in a different location.
The other possibility is that it might be genetic. I'm leaning towards the eating issue. You can easily observe her eating habits and watch if the others chase her away from the feeder.

It's not worms. There are two possibilities: The other pullets might be preventing her from eating (bottom of the pecking order.) If that's the case, provide another feeder in a different location.
The other possibility is that it might be genetic. I'm leaning towards the eating issue. You can easily observe her eating habits and watch if the others chase her away from the feeder.
Thanks

Since my Barred Rock was 9-10 weeks old her growth has been really slow since then, she is now 17-18 weeks of age. I know that Barred Rocks are really slow growing birds but not this slow. See pictures below.

View attachment 2461786View attachment 2461787View attachment 2461788

Here are my other Pullets For Size Comparison

One of My Welsummer Pullets

View attachment 2461790

My SLW. My Biggest Pullet.

View attachment 2461791

My Two Light Sussex Cross Pullets are the same size as my Barred Rock at 10-11 Weeks of age.

View attachment 2461793

Please tell me what could be wrong and how I can help her growth/ reach her minimum size.

Runts can grow up normal I raised a happy runt and he grow up like a handsome roo

I gave regularly multi-vitamins , herbs like moringa and vitamin E Selenium it really helps

Attachments

• IMG20190506150728.jpg
    IMG20190506150728.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG20190321123719.jpg
    IMG20190321123719.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom