Barred Rock Temperament

Are BR's known to be a sweet-natured bird?
The variety of these threads illustrates the temperament of the Barred Rock quite well. Barred Rocks are normally fairly docile birds (as most of you have reported). I seldom had temperament problems with my Barred Rocks, but once in a while I would have an aggressive one (as DinosRbirds, Saltysteele, Mahonri, and ShellyN have posted). They are not generally as calm and gentle as breeds like Australorps (mentioned by gd4sumthnmom), Orpingtons (mentioned my ShellyN), Brahmas, Cochins, or Faverolles. I have had all of these breeds for years except the Faverolle ((a neighbor of mine had them) and I have never had an aggressive Australorp or Orpington.

Mine is a sweetie, she loves to be around people and perch on your shoulders and lap! Sometimes when I let the flock out to roam the backyard she hops up on my shoulder and snuggles into my hood while I pick blackberries and water. Her name is Captain Janeway

Last edited:
I have 8 girls, one of which is a BR. She is the youngest of all the girls. She was the smallest as well and was chased around as a baby (I Named her Delta as she was flighty). I now have a little rooster and he is separated in a large dog kennel but in the coop with them. When I let them out, I let all of them out and Delta constantly will chase and challenge him. Many times he stands his ground, esp. If its just her but if another one is nearby he will dodge he will run to safely or to me. I have wondered about her aggressiveness to him. She is also running up to other girls and it's as if she is trying to prove herself to them. As I typed this she just did it again and my Little Man stood up to her.

Back
Top Bottom