Barred Rock vs Cuckoo Maran

smott

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Love coming to this forum for input! So, I have a couple of hens that I bought back in the spring from TSC as barred rocks. They are very similar, with a few barely noticeable differences such as one is blacker with a clearer barred pattern and yellower legs than the other. I just assumed it was a normal variation, but when they started laying, one lays a darker egg than the other. Was curious, but still just assumed it was normal, until I read something about cuckoo marans and how similar they are to barred rocks. Now I'm thinking I have one barred rock and one cuckoo maran. What do you guys think? Attaching pics below!

This is a pic of the eggs I get from a RIR, a golden comet, and the two that are supposed to be barred rocks. I know the lighter egg is being laid by one of the barred hens.
image0.jpeg

This is a pic of Laverne and her feet. Her barring is not as clear and her tail is shaped differently. As you can see her feet are more of a pinkish than yellow. I'm thinking maybe she could be a Cuckoo Maran??
image1.jpeg
image4.jpeg

This is Shirley. She is blacker with more distinct barring and has a more upright tail. Her feet are more yellow. I'm thinking she is actually a barred rock.
image5.jpeg
image3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom