Barred Rock With Injured (Broken?) Pubic Bone

GravityWaves

Songster
May 5, 2020
Southern Indiana
After being pretty fortunate by not having any serious injuries or sickness to my birds over the last year, the title says it all. My Barred Rock is right at a year old. Most of my hens have started up again and laid at least a couple eggs since it warmed up over the last couple weeks and since three came out of a partial molt. I basically know who lays what eggs and my BR just laid a 61g egg yesterday. While I was in the coop this afternoon checking their pubic bones to see if I could tell for sure who's laying, the one on the right side of my BR was slightly flexible and definitely bent in towards the vent area some.

Now, I don't exactly know how this happened and just happened to find it because I was doing a check. She's not limping, I saw her fly up to the roost before I found it, and she seems to not be having any trouble standing or laying on the roost bar. She's eating and drinking (she filled her crop right before dark when I came inside to do a couple things) and really isn't acting any different. Right before I came inside this last time, she had a bowel movement that was completely normal. I was worried about a possible egg being broken inside of her with her pubic bone the way it was so I gloved up and found that there was NO egg or broken shell/egg material in her oviduct as far as I could tell. I could manipulate her injured pubic bone about an inch or so inside of her but couldn't feel any breaks or unusual heat or swelling (inside or outside). It is definitely not normal though. I've looked at skeletal diagrams and such and couldn't really find any case quite like this one. I guess I'm just worried that she'll lay an egg and have it break or maybe get bound? I'm going out in a few minutes to get a big box and bring her inside to keep an eye on her.

About the only thing I can think of that caused this is my rooster from mounting her. I think the warmer weather and the girls starting to lay has made him quite randy. He is separated in his own pen for now. Although he is really not rough on the girls and they all love him, he does the sneak attack now and catches them by surprise. This from the bird that couldn't stop tidbitting, dancing, and showing off before he was with them. :idunno Sorry for such a long post and thanks for reading and any info.

Are you sure it hasn't always been this way? My understanding was that in some birds, the pelvic arch will be bent inwards.

I left her in the coop last night and went out there early this morning to check. She was down with the others like nothing was wrong. Her one pubic bone is definitely still "loose". She even laid an egg in the afternoon, albeit noticeably smaller than the few she's laid recently (48g). Also forgot to mention they're on 18% protein all-flock with oyster shell and crushed eggshells on the side. I put a bowl w/ some nutri-drench water out there and got a bottle of calcium citrate w/ vit d today if she would need that to aid in healing. I'm not begging for answers bc it would seem like there isn't much you can do about this, I'm just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation?

Back
Top Bottom