Barred rock with sour crop and hard swollen abdomen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChiniakChicken, Mar 15, 2016.

1. ChiniakChicken

ChiniakChicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Alaska
    Help, I need advice - my 3.5 year old barred rock hen became ill this weekend. It fit all the symptoms of sour crop - and with my assistance she vomited up some foul stuff yesterday evening. Her crop did not re-fill overnight but today her abdomen is swollen & hard. I gave her an Epson salt bath & felt inside her cloaca for an egg but didn't find one. She has not laid an egg in a very long time. She's pooping a lot - mostly watery white & green, so she not stopped up. Her comb is shrunken and darker than it used to be. She drinks water and after I withheld food for 24 hrs starting yesterday afternoon when I gave her some plain yogurt this evening she ate quite a bit. At times her breathing is slightly labored - her chest goes up & down and her bill opens slightly. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong & how I might help her? I've been looking on-line for information but haven't found this combination of symptoms. Has anyone else experienced this and had any success keeping a chicken alive? [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by