Barred Rock × Leghorn Chicken question

Lupaster Farms

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2022
I was considering getting a flock of Barred Rock and Leghorn to breed together to create a big chicken plus a super prolific layer. Has anyone done this and gotten good results? Is it even possible to create the results I want? Tia!🤗

Barred rocks lay well by themselves, but modern barred rocks aren't great for meat, neither are leghorns. Try some heritage type breeds. There are so many breeds that can be used for what you want, you might want to consider your options. :]
Thanks for the input, I was considering barred rock bc I think they're very beautiful! I just want something that will lay really well and be a good meal if needed be.😁

I was considering getting a flock of Barred Rock and Leghorn to breed together to create a big chicken plus a super prolific layer. Has anyone done this and gotten good results? Is it even possible to create the results I want? Tia!🤗

This has been done before. They are called California Gray. They lay from white to tinted eggs, are not as big as Barred Rocks.

Here are the reviews on this site.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/california-grey.11521/reviews

My heritage line of leghorns are huge, fast growers, well-muscled, and prolific layers. Heritage barred rocks can be all of that, too. I would just pick one or the other from a great breeder, don't bother with hatchery stock unless you're just getting leghorns for layers and CX for meat.

Back
Top Bottom