Barred Olive Eggers

Ada06

Songster
Apr 26, 2020
Lansing, Michigan
Hello! I have currently have one main flock covered by 2 splash Ameraucanas and have been experimenting with all the fun colored (and bearded!!) babies. :celebrate
The barred rock/Ameraucanas are currently my favorite due to the males growing up barred.
Basically I want to create a line of Barred Olive Eggers.
I am not great at genetics lol
So, my question is: Would these barred olive Egger roosters over a regular barred rock hen create more olive Eggers or would the hens have a 50% chance of laying green or brown?
Then, would you cover all of the resulting hens with a barred Maran to darken the olive?
I don't know if this actually makes sense or not because sometimes it sounds better in your head :p
IMG_20230725_102548851_HDR.jpg

Is the rooster pictured isn't an olive egger. He is just a green egger. If you crossed him with barred rock hens you would get 50% brown eggers, and 50% green eggers. If you wanted to go an alternate route to get the barred olive eggers, you could cross a cuckoo marans with ameraucana.

Is the rooster pictured isn't an olive egger. He is just a green egger. If you crossed him with barred rock hens you would get 50% brown eggers, and 50% green eggers. If you wanted to go an alternate route to get the barred olive eggers, you could cross a cuckoo marans with ameraucana.
Yeah, it's kinda the long way around lol
Would the cuckoo maran X Ameraucana create all barred chicks? I think that is my main goal since I like the look of the barred chickens.
Thanks for the response :)

Yeah, it's kinda the long way around lol
Would the cuckoo maran X Ameraucana create all barred chicks? I think that is my main goal since I like the look of the barred chickens.
Thanks for the response :)
It depends if the maran is the mom or dad. If it is the mom, they would be sex-linked and the boys would be barred and the girls not. If the maran is the dad, all the chicks would be barred.

Breeding any green or olive layer to a brown layer will result in roughly ½ laying green/olive (usually a darker green at least than the parent) and ½ laying brown.

That is why when people start selling increasingly dark olive egg laying birds, they should put in the posting that not 100% of the females will lay olive eggs

Breeding any green or olive layer to a brown layer will result in roughly ½ laying green/olive (usually a darker green at least than the parent) and ½ laying brown.

That is why when people start selling increasingly dark olive egg laying birds, they should put in the posting that not 100% of the females will lay olive eggs
Genetics are so cool!! Thanks for the information!!

Back
Top Bottom