Ermine ameraucana cross breeding

Ravenwood Farms

Hatching
Apr 7, 2024
I have several Welsummer hens and I'm about to get an Ermine Ameraucana roo. I want to create an interesting looking olive egger with this combo. Has anyone attempted this. If so, what do the offspring generally look like?

I have several Welsummer hens and I'm about to get an Ermine Ameraucana roo. I want to create an interesting looking olive egger with this combo. Has anyone attempted this. If so, what do the offspring generally look like?
I have no personal experience, and I've had trouble trying to figure out the genes involved in Ermine Ameraucanas.

Would you mean Erminette Ameraucanas? This hatchery page seems to have both names being used for the same birds:
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/erminette-ameraucanas-chicken/
If that description is correct about the breeding results, then I think I know what color genes they have.

If you cross them to Welsummers, I would expect half of the chicks to be black, and the other half to be white with various amounts of black showing (some might look like Erminettes, others might have more or less black than that.) Any of them could have leakage of other colors as they grow up. Each color should happen in both males and females (so the chicks will not be color-sexable.)

Chicks should have muff/beard, like the Ameraucana father.

Chicks will probably have heterozygous pea combs (also called modified pea combs.) They look sort of like a mix of pea comb and single comb.

Yes, the chicks should be nice Olive Eggers :)

You will get paint with leakage and black with leakage. The color of leakage depends on if your paint (Erminette) Ameraucana is gold or silver based. I think it is a mistake to try to get them accepted as Erminette when the color name is normally accepted as paint.

Back
Top Bottom